What is a storage device exactly? This question must have occurred to many people at some point, but even after extensive searching, it is not found anywhere in the detailed information.
It is, as the name implies, a device of this type.
Which are used to digitally store data or information.
They can also be called digital storage, storage media, storage medium, or storage device. These are some examples of hardware devices that digitally store data or information, either temporarily or permanently. Their primary function is to store data.
When it comes to computers, data storage refers to locations that store data in electromagnetic and optical forms so that the computer processor can easily access them when needed.
Then, without further ado, tell us what this storage device is and what types of storage devices exist.
Table of Contents
What is a storage device?
As previously noted, Storage Devices are those that temporarily or permanently store data and information as needed. They digitally store the data.
A storage device is a computer hardware that is used to store data safely, and use it as needed. They can store information for short-term or long-term.
You can find these storage devices inside or outside the computer or server. At the same time, these storage devices are also referred to as storage medium or storage media.
It is a very important part of any computer device. At the same time, they are available in different sizes and types depending on their need and functionalities.
Types of Storage Devices
The storage devices used in computers are mainly of four types. Let us now know about the different types of those storage devices.
1. Primary Storage Device
2. Secondary Storage Device
3. Tertiary Storage Device
4. Off-line Storage Device
Primary Storage Devices
- These primary storage devices are also called main memory.
- This is the direct memory that is accessible by the Central Processing Unit (CPU) that too via a memory bus.
- These storage devices are volatile.
- Their memory is temporary, that is, as soon as the device is switched off or rebooted, then their memory gets erased.
Secondary Storage Devices
These Secondary Storage Devices are storage devices that are not directly accessible by the Central Processing Unit.
- In this, input and output channels are used to connect such storage devices with the computer. Because they are mainly external.
- They are non-volatile and together they have more storage capacity as compared to primary storage devices.
- This type of storage is permanent unless removed by an external factor.
- Both internal and external memory are found in these.
Example: Hard disk
Tertiary Storage Devices
These Tertiary Storage Devices are not that important and often they are not even part of the personal computer.
- It has often been found that a robotic mechanism is used in this which mounts or dismounts the removable mass storage media in a storage device.
- Robotic functions are used in this type of storage device.
- It does not require repeated human intervention and it is capable of doing its work automatically.
- It is a comprehensive computer storage system that is very slow, so it is often used to archive data that is not frequently accessed.
- Magnetic Tape
- Optical Disc
Off-line Storage Devices
- These offline storage devices are also called disconnected storage.
- This is a computer data storage that is not under the control of the processing unit.
- It has to be connected by a person before any computer can access it again.
This type of storage devices are also called disconnected or removable storage.
- Floppy Disk
- Zip diskette
- USB Flash drive
- Memory card
what did you learn today
I have full hope that I have told you guys what is a storage device and how many types are there? Gave complete information about and I hope you people have understood about Storage Device.
I request all of you readers that you also share this information in your neighborhood, relatives, your friends, so that there will be awareness among us and everyone will benefit a lot from it. I need your cooperation so that I can pass more new information to you guys.
It has always been my endeavor that I should always help my readers or readers from all sides, if you people have any doubt of any kind, then you can ask me without any hesitation.
I will definitely try to solve those doubts. Do you like this article What is Storage Device and how many types are there? How did you feel, do tell us by writing a comment so that we too get a chance to learn something from your thoughts and improve something.